Opposition

When My Friends Opposed to My Leaving


Opposition is a real thing. During the time I was transitioning out of YWAM, I had received a lot of different types of opposition.

The Types of Opposition:

1. Active Opposition

This kind of opposition is the kind you'd get from people who have a high-ranking position in the agency you are in or from friends with "stronger" personalities. Maybe even from your closer friends (naturally, they would have more courage to be more upfront with you than people you are not that close with). 

When I was still making the decision, I had a friend who explicitly told me that life outside of YWAM was a very scary and dangerous place to be in and that I was safer if I'd remain in YWAM. Still, she told me that I was free to choose whatever I wanted, but she still stuck to her belief that life outside was harder and that I would have to stay in the boundaries of YWAM if I wanted to grow and be safe.

2. Passive Opposition

This kind of opposition is the kind you'd normally get from people you are not that close with and from people who do not posses a strong personality. They would indirectly tell you not to go but still play safe. They are never explicit with their intentions but you know what they mean. They still leave you enough room to read between the lines, the subliminal messages.

I had a lot of friends who passively opposed to my leaving. One time, I opened up to a friend about God telling to leave. He calmly told me that it was a great idea and that I should pray more and think about it more. The statement made me laugh as I told him that it wasn't my decision but that it was God's. "Okay, if that's what God wants," was his reply.

3. No Opposition

This batch of people are usually the mature ones. The ones who have known and trusted God and have seen people come and go. They would even encourage you to prepare yourself and give you pieces of advice on how to live your life outside the confines of YWAM and its community. These people are usually the ones sad to see you go but are at the same time happy to see you obey what God had placed in your heart for the betterment of your future.

I was on outreach on one of the islands in the Philippines. I was speaking with a long-time YWAMer and a good friend of my mother. Our conversation brought us to my plans after the FCM. I was a bit reluctant to share my plans with him, but I felt a tugging sensation to do it anyway. When I told him what God had placed in my heart, he smiled and encouraged me. He told me that it was a good idea if it was God's idea and that I shouldn't stay if God told me to go. He gave me pieces of advice and prayed for me, prayed that everything would go well for me.

What I Learned

People can say many things. They have their own opinions and biases. But you have to listen to what God places in your heart, because no matter how tempting and safe and happy and holy YWAM could be, it is never a place for people who God did not call to stay. God will still bless you, but you will not be able to receive the full blessing (usually in the form of joy and peace because God never withholds blessings and provision for His children). 

Also, don't be so proud and cocky. Take everything in--both positive and negative, but remember to process it with the Father first. You never know when He might be speaking through people, and when that happens, you wouldn't want your hands tightly cupped over your ears while shutting your eyes to whatever God has to say and show you.

Comments

Popular Posts